CUPE 3906 ANNOUNCES THE 17th ANNUAL MIKE SKINNER AWARD
The Mike Skinner Award is a member-mandated award offered by the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 3906 on an annual basis. Its title honours long-time labour activist and former CUPE 3906 Staff Member Mike Skinner.
The recipient of the Mike Skinner Award may have been involved in the following possible issues over the course of their time with CUPE 3906:
- Fighting for social justice issues (these issues are diverse and can include environmental justice, labour solidarity, gender equality, equity issues, and the advancement of peace);
- Promoting the welfare of humanity and the environment, and the elimination of pain and suffering through acts of community organizing, mobilization, education and/or solidarity;
- Labour organizing and solidarity in support of workers in Hamilton, Canada, or abroad.
This is not an exhaustive list, but includes a few common examples of the things that past award winners have been involved in and that the selection committee considers.
The value of the award is $500 to one person (or committee), an award certificate and an inscription on the Mike Skinner Award plaque. This award is open to all current members of CUPE 3906 (this includes all Teaching Assistants, Research Assistants in lieu, Sessional Faculty, Hourly Rated Sessional Music Faculty and Postdoctoral Fellows), and/or anyone who has been a member of the local between January 2022 and March 2023. This year’s award will be for the 2022-23 year.
The nomination period for this award is from February 7, 2022 to March 7, 2023.
If a suitable candidate has been active in your organization or department between January 2022 and March 2023, or if you have seen a suitable candidate around campus or the in community, we invite you to nominate them for this award.
Please review the award criteria, and, when writing your letter of nomination and seeking supporting letters from others, include the nominee’s specific contributions. The main criterions are:
- Impact of their service to the community;
- Length and level of involvement or commitment of the nominee to their act of community service;
- The dedication and courage of the nominee’s activism.
The selection committee is comprised of members of the CUPE 3906 executive and members-at-large. Members of the selection committee cannot nominate a candidate, and members of the selection committee who have personal ties with the nominees must yield their place to another member of the Executive or a CUPE member-at-large nominated by the members of the selection committee.
This year’s Award will be presented at the Annual General Meeting in late March or our GMM in early April, 2023.
We look forward to receiving your nomination of an amazing CUPE 3906 member.
About CUPE 3906:
CUPE 3906 represents roughly 3200 precarious academic workers employed as Teaching Assistants, Research Assistants (in lieu), Sessional Faculty, Hourly Rated Sessional Music Faculty and Postdoctoral Fellows at McMaster University each academic year.
For a PDF of this notice, please click here