A number of student groups are coming together for a rally on Friday, February 1st at Gore Park in Hamilton (corner of James and King). There will be various speakers from 12 to 1, followed by a downtown march from 1 to 1:30.
Why do Ford’s reckless changes matter? How will they adversely impact students?
- dependency on family income in determining OSAP funding has been extended from 4 to 6 years
- interest on debt begins accumulating immediately after graduation
- increase of loan-to-grant ratio: higher loans, lower grants
- services and student unions face an existential threat by funding restructuring. Valuable services, including student-run newspapers, may be lost as a result
- OSAP cuts are part of a larger attack on social services
More information about these changes and their impacts can be found in this release by our friends at CFS Ontario.